You can create links between Files by attaching one file to another. Each linked File can be accessed with one click from the other.
Files can be associated with other Files in numerous ways. These include adding them to a Folder, saving search results as a Collection, adding them to a Lightbox and sharing the Lightbox with others. The Attach File feature provides an additional solution that is independent of the Files' locations. Files anywhere in your IMS Library can be attached.
View Attached Files
Links created by attaching one file to another are displayed in the Related Files tab in the File Console.
- Open a File in the File Console
- Click on the Related Files tab. The number of Files that have been attached may already be indicated at the top of the tab
- Each attached file is listed with a thumbnail image which you can click to open that File.
All users with access to a file can see the files that other users have attached to it, except if the attached File is not available in their permissions. In this case the attached File is not displayed as it cannot be reached by the user. For details about controlling user access to Files and Folders, please refer to Users & Groups
Files are linked to one another using the Attach File feature, as follows.
Single Files in the Same Folder
- Open one of the Files in the File Console
- Right-click on the other file in the Film Strip across the top of the File Console and select Attach file .
By default, Administrators and Power Users can attach files, but Users cannot. You can enable or disable this feature using the Manage Files setting on the Editing Rights tab, in a User's account. For details, please refer to Users.
- Locate all of the Files you want to link to a particular File
- Add each of them to your Lightbox (click on the beneath a thumbnail or use the Add to Lightbox option in the right-click menu)
- Open the File to which you want to link those Files and click the Related Files tab.
- Click Attach Lightbox to File.
By default, Administrators and Power Users have a Lightbox, but Users do not. You can enable or disable this feature using the Enable Lightbox setting on the Login Settings tab, in a user's account. For details, please refer to Users.
- Open the File in the File Console
- Click on the Related Files tab
- To detach a single File, hover over the File you want to detach and click on the Remove Attachment button
- To detach all attachments, click the Detach all Files option.
Removing attached files does not delete any content.